What personal data are collected and for what purposes?
When you use our platform and/or when you register to create an account, we collect and process personal data concerning you, such as your family name and first names.
We also ask you to send your email address in order to use this item of data to create an account, send information and notifications, as well as our newsletter.
We also collect your pseudonym, avatar, postal address, gender, telephone number, Internet Protocol (IP) address and certain information available on your social networks. We also optionally ask you to send us a short biography or biography. A photo is also requested in order to identify you during your project's presentation.
Additionally, in order to satisfy our legal obligations regarding mentors, we ask them to provide their official identification document (ID card, passport, driver's license etc.), criminal record, biography or LinkedIn page, and latest diploma.
OpenClassrooms uses Learning Analytics methods for analysing the courses followed, the exercises, the chapters completed, and user experience and projects. It uses these data for analysis and display. These data are used for various aspects, in particular in collecting your user experience and following your progress, putting follow-ups in place and statistics related to your motivation.
The data collected from these Learning Analytics methods will also be used to analyse the Student Success service (progress, follow-up, statistics), to offer you relevant and suitable courses and experience and for research purposes relating to the Hubble project with the National Research Agency (Agence Nationale des Recherches) on the basis of anonymous data.
Where you send us your contact details, we may contact you by telephone and ask you for information on your professional project, your preferred path, qualification votes, your financing preferences, your desire for long-term training, the obstacles to the solution proposed, the estimated start date, as well as about your situation and any reason for rejection. These data are used for registration, consultation, use, completion, extraction and transmission to promote the progress of our students.
When you apply for an in-work course on our platform, we ask you to send certain items of your data, in particular your most recent Curriculum Vitae (CV), a paragraph describing your motivations, your current situation in the form of a video, a work permit in French territory, the training you wish to receive. This includes your level of studies at the start of the training, the title of the last diploma obtained, your status at the start of the training as well as your objectives in carrying out the training, the name of the company found for in-work training, the training desired as well as any comments you may have. We use this information to collect, register, consult, use and add to our courses.
At the end of your diploma course, for statistical purposes we ask you to fill in a questionnaire to give certain items of your data, in particular your job title, the name of your employer and your salary.
In satisfaction surveys, we use a customer satisfaction measuring tool (Net Promoter Score). You will be asked by this tool to write an opinion on the training followed with OpenClassrooms.
Definition of cookies and their uses. A cookie is a text file deposited on your computer at the time you visit our platform. The cookies are managed on your computer by your Internet navigator.
Different types of cookies are used on our Site, as follows:
- Some cookies that are strictly necessary for the operation of our platform (mandatory cookies). They allow you to use the main functions of our platform (for example, access to your account). Without these cookies, you would not be able to use our platform normally.
Functional cookies, among which are analytical cookies: In order to improve our services, we use audience-measurement cookies such as the number of pages viewed, the number of visits, the activity of Users and their return frequency, in particular by using the services of Google Analytics. These cookies only allow the establishment of statistical studies on the User traffic on our platform, which results are completely anonymous to allow us to obtain knowledge about the use and performance of our platform and to improve its functions. Acceptance of these cookies allows you to have an optimal user experience on our platform. If you refuse them, we cannot guarantee you normal use on our platform.
It also includes cookies that allow us to personalise your experience on our platform by memorising your preferences (such as social media site sharing cookies). These cookies may be placed by a third party on our behalf, but it is not authorised to use them for purposes other than those described.
- Target cookies (advertisement cookies): These cookies relate to services provided by third parties, such as the "Like" or "Share" buttons. These cookies are placed by third parties.
Types of cookies used. The following types of cookies are used on this Site:
- Temporary cookies: This type of cookie is active on your navigator until you leave our platform and expires if you do not access the Site for a given period.
- Permanent or Tracer cookies: This type of cookie stays in your navigator’s cookie file for a longer period, which depends upon the parameters of your web navigator. Permanent cookies are also called Tracer cookies.
Use of third-party cookies. We may use third party partners such as Google Analytics,to track the progress of visitors to our platform or to identify your centres of interest on our platform and personalise the offer sent to you on our platform or outside our platform. The information collected by third-party advertisers may include geo-location data or contact information, such as email addresses. The confidentiality policies of these third-party advertisers provide further information on the way in which the cookies are used.
We ensure that the partner companies agree to process the information collected on our platform exclusively for our requirements and in accordance with our instructions, in compliance with the European regulations. We ensure that they agree to implement appropriate security and protection measures for keeping the data confidential.
Deactivation of cookies. Upon your first connexion on our website you are given the opportunity of choosing your cookies settings, and changing them whenever you want by clicking here.
You may deactivate the cookies at any time by selecting the appropriate parameters on your navigator (the navigator aid heading used indicates the steps to be taken).
We draw your attention to the fact that deactivation of the cookies may reduce or hinder access to all or certain functions.
With regard to promotional emails, you may at any time withdraw your consent by (i) ticking the box relating to your account, (ii) clicking the deregistration link given in each of our communications, or (iii) contacting us.
We collect the information that you give us when:
- you navigate on our platform and use the applications
- you create, modify and gain access to your personal account
- you fill in a contact form
- you fill in an application form for our training courses
- you contact our Customer Service Department
Are your data shared with third parties?
The personal data concerning you collected on our platform are intended for use by OpenClassrooms and may be sent to sub-contractors used by OpenClassrooms to provide its services.
OpenClassrooms will not under any circumstances sell or lease your personal data to third parties for marketing purposes.
We also work in close collaboration with third-party companies that may have access to your personal data, as follows:
- Where you make an express request (for example, where you use the authentication methods provided by the social networks allowing you to integrate into your OpenClassrooms profile information from your account on their own platform;
- Where we call upon search engine and analytical solutions suppliers to improve and optimise our platform;
- Additionally, OpenClassrooms does not disclose your personal data to third parties except where (1) you (or your account administrator acting in your name) requests or authorises their disclosure; (2) disclosure is required in order to process transactions or provide services that you have requested; (3) OpenClassrooms is forced to do so by a government authority or a regulatory authority, in the event of judicial requisition, a summons to appear before a court or any other similar governmental or judicial requirement, or to establish or defend a legal claim; or (4) the third party is acting as an agent or sub-contractor of OpenClassrooms in the provision of services (for example, where OpenClassrooms uses the services of a telecommunications company).
If OpenClassrooms or all or part of its assets is purchased by a third party, the data in our possession will be transferred to the new owner.
We may combine data concerning you and that we receive or send to our commercial partners, including in particular all or part of your personal data and the information collected by cookies. This accumulated information will be used only for the purposes described above.
On request, we can give you a list of the countries where we keep your data and those where they are occasionally routed.
We transfer and keep your data in the European Union as well as send them outside the European Union to the United States. The American entities to which we transfer your data have adhered to the Privacy Shield and/or we have concluded special agreements and standard contractual clauses with them drawn up by the European Commission to provide a framework for ensuring the secure transfer of your data to those service providers. We can call upon the services of the American companies to which we sub-contract your data in order to respond to your requests, supply online payment tools, and to provide us with commercial and advertising services or emailing and SMS messaging services.
How are your personal data protected?
OpenClassrooms applies generally recognised technological and organisational measures to ensure that the personal data collected are not lost, misappropriated, consulted, amended or disclosed by unauthorised third parties unless the communication of the data is compulsory under the regulations in force, in particular at the request of a judicial authority, the police, the judicial police, or any other authority authorised by law.
The security of personal data also depends on the Users. Users who are members of OpenClassrooms agree to keep their user ID and password confidential. Members also agree not to share their account and to inform OpenClassrooms of any unauthorised use of the account as soon as they become aware.
What is the retention period of your personal data?
The personal data communicated by Users of OpenClassrooms are deleted at the end of a certain period of time and according to the data processed.
To allow members to recover their accounts if they forget their password after a prolonged period without connecting to the Site, your email is kept for reasons of security. However, it is possible to delete it by amending the information in their profile in the section “My Account” on the Site.
We keep your data only for the period necessary for the purposes described, in accordance with the law, and in particular:
- Connection data and profile data:
- 5 years after your last use of our platform, if you have not closed your account;
- If your account is suspended or blocked, we keep your data for a period of 2 years from the suspension in order to prevent you from disregarding the rules in force on our platform.
- Invoice and contractual data: 10 years
- Data relating to visitors and commercial marketing: 3 years
- Data relating to validation of projects, certificates and diplomas: 50 years
Are you a minor?
As our aim is to make education accessible to everyone, minors may gain access to the Site to browse for information.
Our platform does not collect, register or store any information relating to any person under 15 years of age.
Where you give your consent when you are a minor, the personal data concerning you is collected.
You may exercise your right to be forgotten if you no longer wish the data concerning you to be kept in our databases.
What happens in the event of the use of the OpenClassrooms services in relation to the social networks?
Where you use social networks and the services or applications of OpenClassrooms relating to social networks, this involves the collection and exchange of data between the social networks and OpenClassrooms.
We are not liable for the use made of your data by social networks on their own behalf. You have the possibility of fixing parameters and directly controlling access on the social networks and the confidentiality of your data.
We provide our students with a Workplace platform provided by Facebook allowing our students to share information on seeking employment. The comments on Workplace are the property of OpenClassrooms, and we have the possibility of amending, deleting or exporting them at any time.
What are your rights?
In accordance with the regulations in force, Users of our platform have the following rights:
- A right to gain access to and to correct information;
- A right to update and add to User data;
- A right to lock or delete personal User data where they are inaccurate, incomplete, equivocal, out-of-date or whose collection, use, communication or conservation is prohibited;
- A right to withdraw consent at any time;
- A right to limit the processing of User data;
- A right to object to the processing of personal data;
- A right to the portability of data that Users have supplied where such data is the subject of automated processing based on their consent or an agreement.
If you wish to know how OpenClassrooms uses these personal data, how to correct or object to processing of data, you can send an email to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org or send a letter to the following address: OpenClassrooms, Data Protection Officer, 7 Cité de Paradis, 75010 Paris, France.
Lastly, Users of OpenClassrooms may lodge a complaint with the regulatory authorities and in particular the Commission nationale de l'informatique et des libertés (CNIL, French Data Protection Authority) (https://www.cnil.fr/fr/plaintes).
Your requests will be processed within thirty (30) days. In the event that we have reasonable doubts concerning your identity, we may request the provision of additional information necessary to confirm your identity.
How to contact us - Contact details of the data protection officer